Tuesday, January 15, 2013

It's official!

It's official. Today we received our member packets from Therapy Dogs International and we are good to go with scheduling our therapy dog visits. As a warmup, I (Marti) will be going to Coral Reef Elementary School tomorrow to participate in Career Day. While volunteering isn't my full time career, I plan to talk about how volunteering is an important aspect of many professions. For example, in my career as a professor, I focus my efforts in three distinct areas: teaching, research, and service. The service piece can be subdivided into service to the university, service to the profession, and service to the community. My work with therapy dogs is how I provide service to my community. Sammy, our Wheaten Terrier mix, will join me tomorrow as I speak to students from Pre-K to 5th grade about my career and my volunteer efforts!

More to come :-)

Marti

No comments:

Post a Comment